Bhubaneswar: Four persons had a narrow escape when an SUV they were travelling in caught fire in Odisha’s Koraput district today.
The incident took place when the SUV was on its way to Sunabeda from Koraput town in the afternoon, sources said.
The vehicle caught fire after smoke was spotted coming out of its bonnet in the midway. However, the four persons travelling in the vehicle managed to escape without any injury, sources said.
“I was returning home from a hospital in the afternoon when I found the SUV on fire. There was no one in the vehicle. I along with a few others tried to douse the fire but could not,” said Madan Turuk, a local.
On being informed the Fire Brigade personnel reached the spot and doused the flames. “We got an emergency call that an SUV caught fire on the road near Sunabeda. We rushed to the spot and doused the flames. The incident might have occurred due to short-circuit or some glitches in the engine,” said Sandip Samantray, a Fire Brigade personnel.
Vehicular traffic was disrupted on the road for quite some time due to the incident, locals said.