Bhubaneswar: Odisha Government today accorded consent for the construction of Bhubaneswar Metro Rail Project Phase-I from Bhubaneswar Airport to Trisulia Square. Engaging Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Limited as a turn-key consultant for the execution of Phase-I work was also approved.
In order to facilitate comfortable, safer, and convenient transportation for the public in Bhubaneswar, Khordha, Cuttack, and Puri regions, there is a need for a Metro Rail System.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik sanctioned augmenting the infrastructure with the mega project for the Capital Region under the 5T initiative covering the route in the first phase on 1st April 2023.
The estimated cost of the 1st phase of the project is Rs 5,929.38 crore. The 1st phase is targeted for completion in four years.
The salient features of the project are as under:
- The length of the project from Bhubaneswar Airport to Trisulia Square is 26 Km.
- There will be 20 Metro stations including Capital Hospital, Rajmahal Square, Vani Vihar Square, Jaydev Vihar Square, and Patia Square.
- The Metro rail tracks and stations will be on elevated viaducts.
- Ultra-modern Coaches will be deployed.
- Advanced Ticketing system and Signaling System will be adopted.
Notably, the fee of Delhi Metro Rail Corporation Limited was fixed at Rs 326.56 crore, including taxes.